DNA has proved a valuable addititional tool in researching the name STERRY, especially where the documentary evidence is either missing or inconclusive.
To date DNA has established that:
- the Bermondsey, Surrey line is connected to the Longhope line
- a line of STERRYs who emigrated to Victoria, Australia in the mid 1850s is related to the Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England line
- The Connecticut, USA line is not connected to any of the estabished STERRY lines from Gloucestershire
- A line of STERRYs from Tennessee is connected to the Connecticut USA line [ something that 20+ years of research could not establish]
- The three lines from the same area of Suffolk [Lowestoft, Ipswich and Southwold lines] are connected
- The Southwold, Suffolk tree represents two distinct family lines that share a common ancestor in a meaningful genealogical time frame